Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Homemade Pico de Gallo

I've bought two different tubs of pico de gallo at our local walmarts and both times they have been mushy and near close to expiration. So this last time I said enough is enough and I decided to attempt to make my own pico de gallo. I looked through a few recipes and got a general idea of what goes into it and I just started throwing things together. There's nothing better than fresh crunchy pico de gallo. Here is the ingredient list that I put together....

2 tomatoes (seeded) cut into cubes
1/4 of large red onion
2 medium garlic cloves
4 tbsp cilantro (4 or 5 stem & leaves)
1 jalapeno (fresh or diced in a jar) for more heat you might want to put a little more than just 1

Put all these ingredients into the food processor and chop.

Then add
1 tsp of salt
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil (or regular)
Juice from 2 whole lemons

And tonight we'll put this yummy pico de gallo over diced grilled chicken and sour cream all wrapped up in a small flour tortilla. Walla!

0 comments: